7 Sept 2010

Exclusive psalmody

I have added another link to my website: the Rev. Mark Koller's Exclusive Psalmody. There is, of course, an old tradition within some branches of the larger Reformed family that has congregations singing only metred psalms in worship. Although it has never been the majority position, even in such conservative denominations as the Orthodox Presbyterian Church and the Presbyterian Church in America, proponents can nevertheless accurately point to a tragic history that has seen "uninspired" (i.e., not directly from scripture) hymnody squeeze out the psalms over the centuries. I myself would not go quite as far as to advocate singing only psalmody, though I definitely believe that the biblical Psalms in some form should constitute the heart of the church's sung liturgy.

No comments: